Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Operating Systems I would prefer to use instead of Windows

Mandrake is a Linux distribution which I use as my alternate operating system to Windows. If I could get my XP programs to work on it well and cheaply I would use it instead of XP. Now I have a dual boot system and I am only playing with linux instead of seriusly moving over to it. Mandrake started it's life as Redhat with Kde installed instead of Gnome and some other differences. Since its acceptance on the opensource network it has become a separate entity. Kde and Gnome are gui(Graphical User Interface) desktops. At the time Kde was older and more developed than Gnome with a different licence. Kde wasn't opensource, Gnome was, I think they are more equal in standing and capabilities now but I have an idea Kde is used by more people and is a better desktop. Kde became opensource at least a year ago, more likely 2.
I have tried many Linux distros including Debian. Debian's philosophy is wonderful but I had too many problems trying to install it. I spent 3 days and nights trying to install it a few years ago without success. I hope it is easier now. Mandrake 9.1 took me 45 minutes to install, with gigabytes of additional software, compared to around 1 1/2 hours for win XP, with nothing.
There are many distributions of Linux and at least 2 other OS around. Freebsd and the rest of the BSD clan, with the Mac OS too. Mac is also released as an opensource OS called Open Darwin, based on FreeBsd I believe. If I could get the brilliant graphics which is part of mac popularity and XP programs to work I would use Darwin. VMware may present my opportunity to do so.

No comments: